The full article

Editor’s note: Last week, we started a story on Page 1, but left off the continuation that was supposed to be on an inside page. We emailed copies of the complete story and handed out printed copies to all who asked, but we’re also reprinting the article in its entirety this week.

The former Assistant Chandler Police Chief who already had several state charges filed against him last September has now been indicted by a federal grand jury for alleged firearms violations.

Steven Bradley Simon, 47, was initially arrested in early September and charged in Lincoln County District Court with four felonies and two misdemeanors stemming from a domestic disturbance and altercation with his wife.

In December federal agents with Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms reportedly arrested Simon. A source told the Lincoln County News last month that it had to do with guns.

The grand jury issued a multi-count, superseding indictment against Simon last week. Count 1 is for possession of unregistered firearms. The charge alleges Simon possessed three different firearm silencers that had not been registered to Simon in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record.

In Count 2 of the indictment it charges Simon with possession of firearms without serial numbers. It accuses him of possessing those silencers and that he knew they did not bear a serial number or other information required by federal code.

Possession of firearm after commitment to a mental institution, specifically Griffin Memorial Hospital in Norman on May 5, 1999 is alleged in Count 3 of the federal indictment. It accuses Simons of possessing a Glock model 17, 9mm Luger caliber semiautomatic pistol which was in and affecting interstate commerce in that the firearm had previously crossed state lines to reach Oklahoma.

The indictment states that the allegations are realleged for the purpose of alleging forfeiture and that upon conviction of any of the offenses contained in Counts 1 and 2 that Simon shall forfeit to the United States the firearms silencers involved in the offense.

It further states that upon conviction of the offense alleged in Count 3 that Simon shall forfeit to the United States any and all firearms and ammunition in commission of the offense.

The list contains 18 various pistols, shotguns, revolvers and rifles along with other ammunition and magazines.

According to information attached to the indictment, it showed Simon remains in custody at the Grady County Jail.

Allan Gubb, who is District Attorney for Lincoln and Pottawatomie Counties, filed the state charges against Simon last September.

Commenting on the federal indictment against Simon, Grubb said, “I take firearms charges very serious. When one has a duty to protect the public and misuses that power to place lives at risk, they should be held accountable.

“I am steadfast in protecting public safety and with that requested the U.S. Attorney’s Office to look at charges on Mr. Simon. I will work hand in hand with the U.S. Assistant Attorney’s office to make sure that Mr. Simon is not allowed to hurt anyone else.”

Chandler Police Chief Matt Mattheyer confirmed in September that Simon was no longer employed with the department.

The felonies filed in Lincoln County District Court against Simon in September include Domestic Assault and Battery by Strangulation; possession of firearm during commission of a felony; Plan/Attempt/Conspire to perform an Act of Violence; and unlawful use of a police radio.

The misdemeanors are carrying a firearm while under the influence and discharging a firearm in public place.

Court records show that last Sep. 3 the victim, his wife Jade Savannah Simon, filed for an Emergency Protective Order against Simon and that was granted, court records show.

On Sep. 17, Associate Judge Sheila Kirk ruled the EPO is to remain in full force and effect and that Simon have no contact with the victim.