Stroud schools shut down over safety concerns

Stroud Public Schools saw two separate and unrelated incidents regarding student safety last week at the high school and elementary school, resulting in all schools being closed on April 8. Superintendent Joe Van Tyul said the discovery of the first incident took place late in the school day on Monday, April 6, while the second was after school the following day, delaying sufficient investigation needed.

“After lengthy in-depth evaluations including the Stroud PoliceDepartment,weacquiredinformationappropriately allowing legal and disciplinary actions moving forward to establish safe and secure campuses regarding these specific events,” he said. “We closed school onWednesday as a part of the process to provide adequate conditions for these investigations.”

Stroud Police Chief Clint Gaylord said the department received information that there was a list circulating at the school among students about possible violence that could happen in the future. The list included names of students and teachers at Stroud schools.

An investigation was initiated, and a juvenile was taken into custody later that day. Gaylord said the investigation is still ongoing, and information is limited as it involves a minor.

The incident at the elementary school involved a student bringing home an air pistol on April 7. At some point during the day, the student came into possession of the object and showed it to their parents or guardians when they got home. The parents were concerned. Gaylord said they launched an investigation to determine where the air gun came from and wrapped it up fairly quickly.

“I think just with everything going on, and then you have a principal from Paul’s Valley getting shot, I think the school decided they want to just shut it down and let us catch up on this investigation and get some of this stuff wrapped up before they send these kids back to school,” he said.