Retrial set in fatal Turner Turnpike crash

A Tulsa woman charged with first degree manslaughter and multiple other felony offenses whose trial was declared a mistrial earlier this year, will be retried again.

Candice Rene Conley, 29, of Tulsa, was formally charged in Lincoln County District Court on Jan, 2, 2020 with the manslaughter count following a collision that occurred on Jan. 1, 2020, that left an Edmond woman dead.

The weeklong trial began on Monday, Feb. 14 and jurors spent nearly four hours in deliberations on Friday, Feb. 18, when they returned and indicated they were unable to reach a verdict.

District Judge Cindy Ashwood, who presided over the case, then declared a mistrial and the jury was excused from the courtroom.

She ordered Conley would remain on the $100,000 bond and the judge ordered a status conference for 2 p.m. on May 13, 2022.

During that status conference, the state announced it planned on retrying the case. The judge set it for the felony dispo sition docket on Sep. 27 and scheduled a jury trial on Oct. 17.

In the first degree manslaughter charge, Conley was accused of recklessly driving on Jan. 1, 2020 on the Turner Turnpike at speeds exceeding 100 miles per hour, a misdemeanor, without regard for the lives or safety of others and colliding with a vehicle driven by Mercedes Rose Tyler, causing her fatal injuries.

In leaving the scene of a fatality accident count, she was accused of driving away from that fatal accident and then further fleeing her own vehicle.

In addition to the manslaughter count, Conley was originally charged also with leaving the scene of a fatality accident, a felony; assault and battery with a deadly weapon; six counts of assault and battery with a deadly weapon after former conviction of a felony; and four counts of leaving the scene of an accident involving personal injury.

By Feb. 17, when the trial was on its next to last day, a third amended information was filed. Still in tact were the first degree manslaughter and leaving the scene of a fatality accident charges. Also, there were still seven counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon but the after felony conviction had been dropped from each of the those.

And two of the four leaving the scene of an accident involving injury counts had been dropped.

State Trooper Mathew Conway said the fatal collision occurred Wednesday, Jan. 1, 2020 on the Turner Turnpike near mile marker 175.

According to an affidavit, Conway said he learned that a 2020 Chevrolet Tahoe was driving westbound at a very high rate of speed.

He reported the vehicle driven by Conley struck a 2008 Nissan Versa driven by Tyler, causing Tyler to leave the roadway and ejecting Tyler causing her death.

He stated Conley continued westbound on the turnpike striking several other vehicles for approximately five miles before her vehicle left the road, coming to rest while her car was fully engulfed.

The trooper said Conley got out of her vehicle and ran west, took off all her clothing and was found about one half mile from her vehicle by Lincoln County deputies.