Three people escaped a burning house late Saturday night outside of Chandler.
The three people inside were all adults, Chandler Fire Chief Billy Buchannon said.
Assistant Fire Chief Bobby Buchannon said the house was located at 920646 S. 3420 Road outside the Chandler city limits. The call came in about 9:20 p.m. and six Chandler fire units responded to the scene, he said, and the first ones arrived at 9:40 p.m.
He said Davenport brought two units, including a tanker, and Wellston also responded with two units, an engine and support vehicle.
The assistant chief said owners of the two-story, concrete block structure are Edie and Chaiyo Martzall and it was rented to Don Smith. He said other than Smith, he didn’t know who the other two occupants were that escaped the blaze.
The structure was a total loss, he stated.
The fire started on an outside wall and burned up the wall, the assistant chief reported.
Chief Billy Buchannon said the fire started from an improperly installed wood burning stove.
“The chimney wasn’t installed correctly,” he said.
The chief reported that the three adults in the house when the fire broke out weren’t injured. He said the Red Cross put the people in a motel Saturday night.
Fire units were on the scene for three hours, reportedly not leaving until around 12:40 a.m. Sunday.